Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What NOT to say

Never call a business saying: "Hi, this is Jan and I need to set up an appointment to come in and audit your business".
Really, if you have been contracted to audit a business you should at least identify the company you are working for, otherwise you will NOT be well received.
Recently I taught a Bible study to our Hispanic women's group. I was teaching about looking at our hearts honestly and recognizing our sin. I looked at the women and said: "as I look at you, you all appear to be very good people" (they all nodded their heads), "but", I continued, "we all hide bad attitudes in our hearts". In the interest of being open and honest I then used an illustration from my personal life.
Many years ago, we had a relationship with a man who was very opinionated and somewhat domineering. (Let's just say he rubbed me the wrong way). One Sunday when a group of several men where gathered he turned to me and said "why don't you and my wife go and prepare a meal for us?." I have since learned a little humility, but at the time I looked at him and said "I am no one's servant!" (do you detect the righteous indignation?). I eventually apologized to the man but it took me about 5 years to do so.
After sharing this tidbit of honesty with my ladies, one of them spoke up and said: "I would never feel that way, I count it an utmost honor to serve a meal to others"
So much for honesty, I think I'll ask her to teach next time!.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I just giggled when I read that. I'm sure the lady feels that way, but I'm also confident there are other areas where she struggles. LOL

The cell connection has been awful this evening, so after trying unsuccessfully for a couple of hours to get online, Ivan got home and worked his magic and voila! I'm on.

riTa Koch said...

So good to read your thoughts and see your face!
DIL, Karen, would enjoy reading about your business audit call. She has some stories and could add to your What NOT to say-list :)